Thursday, July 28, 2011

Blue Berry Summer~Blueberry Crumble





This has been Berry Summer. Actually it started in late spring with my re-discovery of strawberries, but that story is for another time. Over the past week I have picked or benefited from anothers pickin' 8 gallons of berries. This last haul was 4 gallons of blueberries at a private home that seems to have very few interested parties. Bad for them, wonderful for me and my pickin' sisters; all of us stay-at-home moms who rarely stay at home.


This mornings harvest was quick but fruitful, so to speak 6 gallons in total. Well at least thats what we went home with- if each of us were to be weighed; heaven forbid, the quantity would have been substantially more. $6 a gallon for delicious fruit that will mostly go into the freezer for crumbles for my son Matt, who believes that fruit must only be consumed covered in oatmeal crunchies, is a small price to pay. Of course my canning adventure continues. Did I mention blueberrys make pretty good jam as well?



If you'd like to give the Blueberry Crumble a try, here ya go:



Blueberry Crumble



Filling:


4 cups fresh blueberries


3/4 cups sugar


1 teaspoon cinnamon



Topping:


1 1/2 cups oatmeal


2/3 cups butter


1/2 cup brown sugar


2 teaspoons cinnamon


1/2 cup flour


pinch of salt



Pre-heat oven to 400


In baking dish combine filling ingredients


In bowl mix all the topping ingredients well. It should not be wet or dry but just a nice crumbly mixture.


Pour on top of filling mixture, covering the filling. Some of the filling can peak out, how else are you gonna see that sweet blueberry goodness?


Bake in oven for about 30 minutes. Check the last 10 minutes to make sure you don't over brown.


Remove and serve warm with ice cream.


In my house we are a family of 3, so leftovers happen and are sometimes welcomed. In the case of the crumble, it can be served cold or better yet nuke it and apply ice cream liberally. ENJOY!






1 comment:

jenny said...

The blueberries were by far my favorite this summer! In fact, I'm about to eat some now. I love them frozen with honey drizzled on top!!!